Thursday, July 3, 2008

Living a new way

In recent months I've been praying about how to do life differently. How to start really reaching out and loving others. Not in a really organized way, but just in practical, everyday ways so that I'm really living out what I believe and not just filling my head and heart with knowledge of my faith. I feel like God's calling me to start really "getting my hands dirty" in terms of loving people in tangible ways. And not just loving the people in my life who are easy to love, or who's circles I move in, but loving people I don't necessarily think I have much in common with, or even those I've never met.
A few weeks ago, my friend Christine mentioned that she and some of her friends from our church were starting an apartment ministry. Basically, their heart is to connect with people who are in a living situation that is often very disconnecting. If you think about it, who normally lives in apartments? Single people, newly divorced people, single moms, low income families... all people who are likely sharing a common thread of loneliness and need, but living pretty isolated from one another. It sounded exactly like the kind of opportunity I was praying for! So, without much thought, I asked if I could join them. They said yes.
So, here I am, just about a month out from moving into the same apartment building as Christine and a few others, not having any clue what I'm doing, but excited to see what God will bring from this. This is definitely outside my comfort zone as an introvert, but already I can see God's hand in it.

1 comment:

Amy Lizzy said...

Hey April. I love the idea you are joining your friends in. I hope to hear more about it here on your blog! As a single person, I can testify to lonely people living in apartment complexes yet often feeling disconnected. I have a roommate, but our relationship typically doesn't go much beyond passing each other in the hall.